Thursday, November 19, 2009

Facial sculpting

The model was created in 3DS Max and the character sculpted of course in Z-brush at 5 subdivision levels. I will take a look at how the normals look when applied to the face and body. but it looks like I might export the character back into Max at sub division level 2 for the body and face since they carry a more pronounced silhouette of the character, however the lower one is great for LOD applications or low poly game work as originally started.

Funny thing is when you try something different it can be fantastic or blow up in your face. Here is a test I tried sculpting half of a face for the supporting body below. I thought I would try my hand at creating an afro for the hair but it seems that the effect works better when you use individual planes for the hair and duplicate the hair and use alphas. But since this is to be an in game character I went with the easiest and fastest approach. i will have to see how this goes as it progresses.

1 comment:

Grey said...

You are right. The alpha plane method would work better here for in game stuff. The sculpt is good but don't model half a head. Instead model a full head with symmetry on. Check out Ryan Kingslien's videos on sculpting.